Thursday, April 25, 2013

I long for my mothers Bread



Mahmoud Darwish (Arabic: محمود درويش‎) (13 March 1941 – 9 August 2008) was a palestinian poet and author who won numerous awards for his literary output and was regarded as the Palestinian national poet.In his work, Palestine became a metaphor for the loss of Eden, birth and resurrection, and the anguish of dispossession and exile. He has been described as an incarnation of the traditional political poet in Islam.
He wrote the words of this song when he was in jail, when his mother came to visit him and she brought with her cofee and bread but the israeli soldier took the coffe and everything else. He was so sad and angry so he wrote those words on a cigarette packet to apologize to his mother.

It's one of the most great palestinian songs especially for us who lives far away of our home Palestine.
Everyday we miss our mothers, families and the air of Palestine.

1 comment:

  1. My Mother



    Mahmoud Darwish

    I long for my mother's bread

    My mother's coffee

    Her touch

    Childhood memories grow up in me

    Day after day

    I must be worth my life

    At the hour of my death

    Worth the tears of my mother.

    And if I come back one day

    Take me as a veil to your eyelashes

    Cover my bones with the grass

    Blessed by your footsteps

    Bind us together

    With a lock of your hair

    With a thread that trails from the back of your dress

    I might become immortal

    Become a God

    If I touch the depths of your heart.

    If I come back

    Use me as wood to feed your fire

    As the clothesline on the roof of your house

    Without your blessing

    I am too weak to stand.

    I am old

    Give me back the star maps of childhood

    So that I

    Along with the swallows

    Can chart the path

    Back to your waiting nest.

    ReplyDelete